
Ok, so I realize there are all kinds of traumatic firsts that you go through as a parent. Please excuse my whining as I work my way through them. Today was a big one: daycare. Evy will start daycare in two weeks. So, today we went to the center to get a lesson on how we navigate the baby farm. What supplies do we bring, what's the code to get in the locked door, how do we set up the direct deposit of one arm and one leg per month? As I was in the infant room (16 infants and 4 adults) I felt myself scanning the room and watching what all the children were doing. Some were being entertained just fine with bouncy seats and boppies. Others were face down on the carpet crying or standing in their cribs. What did they all have in common? No parent to provide full attention and love for 9 hours per day. Oh, stab me in the heart!!! I held back the tears until we got into the car. Yes, you heard me right....I cried! As most of you know I am not an overly emotional person so you can tell this was a big deal. Deep breath.

13 comments:
You could just bring little Evy to the office? I know you have at least one person here who'd love to babysit all day. I'd still technically be your assistant too! :)
CB
I knew you would cry! I could hear it in your voice earlier today. Monumental! But I can see how Evy could do that to a person, especially her favoritest mom ever. It will get easier. But that doesn't make it better. Jane
Oh, Emily. I don't have words, but I know it was hard for you. It's a hard to really feel comfortable with the "baby farm" or I like to call it the "baby mill". It will get easier and you will get into a (non-guilt-filled) groove before you know it. The best part of my day is the moment I make eye contact with any of my babies when I pick them up at daycare. They may spend a great deal of time there, but nothing warms there soul like their mom (and dad). And take some comfort in knowing you took the time to find the right daycare for your princess. Hug. Hug.
I want to move so I can be her daycare.
Gma Joan
I want to move closer so I can be daycare :(
Gma Joan
So every time I try to post a comment, I shows up 2 x- I promise I will do a better job at providing daycare...
Gma Joan
Did Scott cry?
Kraig & Julie
No, Scott didn't cry. I was a little unsure as to how he would handle it because only one of us cried at our wedding and Evelyn's birth and it wasn't me.
To me, this is one of the hardest thing we do as a parent. I stressed and cried when I knew I had to go back to work and leave my 6 week old baby with this wonderful older lady. I called her every few hours and didn't hesitate picking her after work! I wish you didn't have to face this, but it does get easier like Ms. Mayhem said. Crying with you......Aunt Susie
Children leave our hearts so vulnerable, like nothing else. I'm sending you a hug.
Wait until Evy comes home singing "What a Girl Wants" one day. It'll be at that moment you realize what an amazing experience daycare is.
Yeah, I have to agree with Mark on this too. Sam would never have mastered "shaking his booty" at age 2 without daycare.
Cindy, you don't give yourself enough credit. I'm sure you would've had Sam doing a great booty shake by 3 all on your own. ;)
Post a Comment