Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Ignorance of my Youth


As I reflect on 2008 B.C. (before child) I laugh at the ignorance of my youth. I frequently used phrases such as "I'm Tired," "I'm Stressed," and "I'm so Busy" in the B.C. years. But then, as Emeril Lagasse says "BAM!" I became the parent of a young child. Oh yes, I remember being "tired"... sleeping until 10 a.m. on the weekends and then fitting in an afternoon nap was exhausting. It was so "stressful" getting myself ready for work and then trying to decide if we should meet friends for dinner at 6 or 7. And I was quite "busy" preparing dinner for two and watching an episode of The Hills. To all of you parents of young children; I apologize for muttering these phrases to you. Please forgive my ignorance.


*Editors Note: I stand behind all the times I used the phrases during my 3 years of working full time and going to grad school. That was horrible!

6 comments:

Ms. Mayhem said...

I don't want to say "I told you so" but it drives me crazy when anyone (including those with kids") say how busy they are. It's called life folks, and it's busy. I just reflect on "B.C." and realize how lazy, relaxed, and bored my life must have been. Crap, I need a nap today and that isn't going to happen.

Anonymous said...

I think I remember saying "You don't even have children yet" a few times!?!
Mom

Amy said...

Oh no, I can't rearrange my life around the Hills once I have kids? Then game - off!

Alyssa said...

It sucks having to eat your words.

Ms. Mayhem said...

I don't think she minded "eatting her words". Chatted with Emily yesterday and the first words out of her mouth were "we are just sitting here looking at just how cute Evy is". Loved it, she's living the "parenting" dream. It's those moments that make it all worth it.

Morgan said...

I'm too busy to post a comment!