Tuesday, June 29, 2010

If the Dock is a Rockin'...


While in my hometown we took Evy to my grandparent's pond so she could feed the fish. I was sitting on the dock, Evy on my lap throwing fish food in the water. My dad was fishing and my mom, grandma, grandpa, and uncle were all standing on the dock observing. I commented on some bubbles, saying there must be a fish down there. Someone else thought maybe it was a turtle. My uncle said maybe it was the dock. My Dad said, "I don't think there has ever been this much weight on the dock." CRASH! SPLASH! SCREAM! The dock collapsed. I was able to put my hand under Evy's bottom and lift her above the water as I slid off the collapsing dock, into the pond. The water didn't get above Evy's chest. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my mom and dad go flopping into the water. Grandma stood shin deep in the water screaming "I can't swim! I can't swim!" And then...I panicked. My Kate Spade sunglasses had fallen off my head, into the murky water. "WHERE ARE MY SUNGLASSES!?!?" The observers thought I was overreacting a bit, but you don't understand...these expensive sunglasses were bought before child, when I still had some leftover money each month. Now post-child there is no room in the budget for these sunglasses to be replaced. Find the glasses! Mom, take the baby. The glasses were retrieved, no one was injured, my dad's fishing pole was retrieved, but his blackberry was not as lucky. Apparently, the blackberry didn't know how to hold its breath for 15 minutes under water.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brought tears to my eyes laughing! I bit it scared the s---- out of everyone, especially Evy! Funniest Home Video $10,000 winnner in my book!!! To bad it was not on video! --Andrea

Leah said...

LOL! This is SO funny! I'm really glad you saved the baby and rescued those glasses. The glasses are awesome--and the baby's even better! :)

AuntSuzy said...

What a fiasco!!! First, Miss Evy is scratched by Sir Ugly (the cat) and 2nd, you almost drown her....I bet she really looks forward to going out to the farm again!! I think the " manufacturer" of the so called dock needs sued!! Isn't that what most people would do? Still, a video would have been nice!! >^..^<

Abby Manning said...

I heard about this!!!! Too bad it wasn't being recorded... you might have been able to win some money on that one:)

Ms. Mayhem said...

Tears in my eyes laughing "parent's flopping"!

Meghan Rogers said...

This made me Laugh out Loud! Glad you saved the sunglasses, and your daughter, too, of course! :)

writermom said...

Girl, you are hysterical. For reals. This is what we call a priceless family moment. And your priorities are totally in check. You saved the baby first, then the sunglasses. Excellent work!

Laurie said...

This will be an incredible story to tell for years! Way to really make a memory!