Thursday, February 16, 2012

Luck

Today, someone who doesn't read this blog told me that I am so lucky that I am able to maintain a career and enjoy motherhood. The comment really annoyed me so I need to blow off a little steam via this blog. The definition of luck is "success brought by chance rather than through one's own actions." After busting my rear-end to finish my master's degree I choose to take a mid-career demotion while many of the colleagues who started in my field with me were taking titles that have Vice President in them. I was loyal to my employer for more than 10 years, regularly taking on additional projects with no additional salary. I now have the same amount of responsibility but get less pay than the person who was previously in my role because I bust my rear-end to fit my work into 20 hours per week. I will work four hours of overtime tonight with no pay (the equivalent of 8 hours for a full time staff member) because I want to keep my part-time job. I rarely take lunch breaks because I often have more than 20 hours of work to do in a week. I am not complaining or upset by this sacrifice. I'm happy to do it because it means that I have more time with my family, but it's not luck that has gotten me here. Some of you will totally understand what I'm saying. Some of you won't get it at all. Either way, I feel better :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evy, Charlie, and I are thankful that you've put in the extra time and effort to put yoruself in this position. It allows our family to have the best of both worlds.

Anonymous said...

I COMPLETELY get what you are saying! I, too, took a huge pay cut to work less hours but carry the same workload plus another person's workload. I do whatever it takes to maintain my shorter workweek so that I can be home more with the kids and keep the house moving forward. I do feel bitter, though, about my lower salary.

Unless someone is doing what you are doing, there is no way they can understand the sacrifice and the extra work it takes to carve out that family time.

Anonymous said...

Amen! You have earned every bit of what that woman calls "luck" through work, great planning (too many people don't take the time to consider if they can or should do the things they do, they simply trust to "luck") and wise choices made by YOU!

Anonymous said...

Love this post. ~Becky

Anonymous said...

In my book, you are a "rock star"!SOS

Lesly said...

You tell it, girl!

Caleb said...

I feel LUCKY to have such a great sister, and I had to work pretty hard to put up with you all these years!

Ms. Mayhem said...

People say such dumb things. I hear luck and I think it implies "easy". In actuality, not sure luck exists. What you are doing and have a achieved is the combination of smart decisions, sacrifice, effort, being prepared when opportunities present themselves and smarts.