Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wild Ride


Evelyn Grace made her appearance this morning at 5:26. She weighed 7 pounds, 8 oz and is 20 inches long.
Last night I was administered Cervidil at about 6 p.m. The cervidil is supposed to soften the cervix to make it more favorable for induction. The plan was to then start the induction this morning at 7 a.m. with Pitocin. As you can see by Evelyn's time of birth we didn't make it to the induction. I started having strong contractions around midnight. By 4:30 a.m. the contractions were nearly unbearable, I was wanting to push and I finally convinced the nurse to check my cervix. When she checked my cervix Scott says her eyes got huge and she rushed out of the room. I was in a foggy state of pain and had no idea what was going on. Scott followed the nurse and heard her calling the Dr. The Dr. arrived at the hospital at 5 a.m. just in time to deliver Evelyn.
Because everything happened so quickly there was no time for pain medication. This self-described whimp who pre-registered for the epidural found herself giving birth the old fashioned kind of way. WOAH! I am feeling fine, although neither Scott nor I have found time for a nap today and are running on zero hours of sleep. If you're planning to stop by and see us we would welcome that...tomorrow.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are a champ!!! I am so happy for all three of you! Welcome, Evelyn!
jill

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Congratulations to you and Scott...Evelyn is gorgeous!

Iowa State Fans said...

She is B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~L :) I was so anamored at each baby we had.....and the pain ( i had 3 without drugs) just faded away as my heart melted when I saw and held them for the first time :)

A Fan in Iowa! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to our world Miss Evelyn. Look at that hair! Todd will be so jealous - ha ha!Don't worry about trying to get rest - you might as well just get comfortable with being tired all the time;)Congrats and hugs from California. K

Unknown said...

The duration and timing sounds very familiar to Martha and me. Congratulations to you and Scott, Welcome! to Evelyn (another "E"), and way to go the old fashioned way! Anything after that will be a piece of cake.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, she's super cute!

writermom said...

She's lovely! What a special day for all of you. I'm proud of you, Emily. Cherish these precious moments and see you soon. k

heetmyser said...

You're hard core! Congrats to you and Scott.

See? That wasn't so bad, was it?

Anonymous said...

She's so cute! Congratulations to you and Scott on your gorgeous little girl.
Don't you want 5 more?
Amy

Anonymous said...

Evy is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations to the new Mom and Dad and Welcome to the new princess.
Tita

Ms. Mayhem said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...see you tomorrow:) Can't wait to hold her!

Anonymous said...

FINALLY!! She is gorgeous and those legs...those fat little legs!! Can't wait to hear all about it! How Scott did and if Grandpa and Grandma S got a speeding ticket!! Congratulations!! Aunt Susie

Robyn said...

Emily,
Congratulations! You are a stronger woman than I! She's beautiful.

Paul said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Emily and Scott:
Congratulations on the birth of beautiful little Evelyn Grace. Steve and I wish you all the best and know that she will bring you much joy in the future. SOS

Anonymous said...

Emily and Scott,
She is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see her in person on the occasion that you make it back to Keo. Maybe grandma will let me have a turn to hold her:) Nancy

Anonymous said...

Emily and Scott,

Congratulations! She is nothing short of adorable and precious! I am so glad to hear that everything went ok, and that Mom and baby are doing well! :) So, when can I start babysitting?

Hugs,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Evelyn is just adorable :~)

Today's my due date - I guess I'll have a baby one of these days!!!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Emily and Scott, CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is so beautiful, so worth the wait. Enjoy every minute, it goes by so fast.
Jennifer, Jobe and girls ;-)