Tuesday, November 3, 2020

The 2020 Election

I feel compelled to write something about the election so that I can look back at this day in history. The nation was on edge, all anyone could talk about was the election. Biden vs Trump. Families split. Friends becoming unfriendly. Even the kids were keenly aware of what was going on. This is the first year that we have ever had a yard sign supporting a presidential candidate and it's the first year (I think) that Scott and I have voted for the same person. I am glad we could be aligned in this choice as it felt more important than ever. After the ballots were cast we watched election night results roll in. At first, it appeared that Trump would win easily. But, this year a record number of people voted early or voted by mail because we are in a pandemic. As the early and mail votes were counted Biden started to take the lead. It took several days to get final results in about 6 key states. And even then there were several legal challenges to certifying those results. It is now December 9 as I write this and President Trump has not conceded and continues to challenge the results in court. However, Biden is president-elect and he is assembling his cabinet. Way back in the January caucus Biden was not my guy. I caucused for Amy Klobuchar. I wish the candidate running against Trump would have been different but he wasn't. There was never a question if I would vote for Trump. I despise him like I have never despised another human. I'm glad the election is behind us but no doubt there are still major challenges ahead. 



Drawing by Evy.

 

No comments: