I got a library card! Why the excitement, you ask? I am not a reader. I don't have the patience to sit still long enough to read. There's always something more productive (or unproductive) I can think of to do with my time. But, I want to be a reader and I want to "want to" relax and read a book. So, I'm trying! My friend LH recommended Cider House Rules by John Irving to another friend so I decided to start with that one. I'm 40 pages into it and am enjoying it. I even chose to read last night over watching the 2nd round of The Bachelor ridiculousness. The book is due back in 3 weeks and that's just the kind of pressure I need to make sure I read the book. What should I read next?Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Hello Library
I got a library card! Why the excitement, you ask? I am not a reader. I don't have the patience to sit still long enough to read. There's always something more productive (or unproductive) I can think of to do with my time. But, I want to be a reader and I want to "want to" relax and read a book. So, I'm trying! My friend LH recommended Cider House Rules by John Irving to another friend so I decided to start with that one. I'm 40 pages into it and am enjoying it. I even chose to read last night over watching the 2nd round of The Bachelor ridiculousness. The book is due back in 3 weeks and that's just the kind of pressure I need to make sure I read the book. What should I read next?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I am a bit embarassed to admit I've recently read the first two of the four-book Twilight series. Katie turned me onto it and even though I still feel like I'm about 20 years too old to be reading them, I got hooked like the rest of the universe. If you want to borrow one let me know! ;)
Maggie
I will give you my copy of The World According to Garp. Still can't say I love it, but I am glad to have read it (it's a classic) and now 3/4 of the way through am eager to see how it ends. oh, and I've got a great discipline book, but you've got about 2 years before you might need it. Ha Ha.
I think you might really enjoy Jane Austen books...my favorite is Pride & Prejudice. Also, To Kill a Mockingbird, Prayer for Owen Meany (better of the Irving books when compared to Garp IMHO) ... I have lots of thoughts on this subject, so we will have to chat.
Have you ever read David Sedaris books? If you want to laugh your ass off, please do so. You have a great sense of humor, so you might really appreciate his craziness.
I agree with David Sedaris - hilarious. Would highly recommend To Kill a Mockingbird too. Also, a personal favorite is the The Poisonwood Bible. It's not a religious book. The family goes on a missionary trip. Also I love the Secret Life of Bees.
It's 2009. Buy audiobooks so you can "read" and watch your shows at the same time.
Oh, yes! Barbara Kingsolver books rock (Poisonwood Bible, Animal Dreams) thanks for reminding me, Lesly!! We should start a book club....
I just read For one More Day by Mitch Albom and now I'm reading The Lost City of Z by David Grann. It's about explorer Percy Fawcett and his search for the lost city of El Dorado in the Amazon. That may be boring to you, but I find it interesting. You can't go wrong with Jane Austen. I love her books! Oh, I was given the book DEWEY (a famous library cat from Spencer, Iowa) and loved it! >^..^<
Anything by James Patterson I promise you won't want to put down. He writes thrillers and who-done its and they are am amazing. They will turn you into a reader - they did me!
There is a whole collection of "The BabySitter's Club" and "Sweet Valley Twins" in a closet at my house! Evy has lots of good reading waiting for her..
Mom
Post a Comment